Lime Delight is one of those desserts that is a requires no baking, and is served chilled, making it perfect for warm days. You don’t really heat up your kitchen, and it is incredibly refreshing. You only need to boil water and run your stand mixer or hand mixer. The final result is a delicious whipped lime desssert with a decadent chocolate crust.
- 1 package gluten free cream filled chocolate cookies (Oreos could be substituted if you aren’t gluten free)
- 14.5 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 3 oz package lime gelatin
- 1 c boiling water
- 3/4 c ice
- 1/2 c cold water
- 1 c sugar
- 1/4 c lime juice
- 1/2 c melted butter
- 1 square semi sweet chocolate or favorite solid chocolate bar for topping
- zest of 1 lime (optional)
- Chill evaporated milk in freezer at least 1.5 hours
- In a large mixing bowl ( I use 8c bowl) prepare lime gelatin 3 oz package of lime jello add 3 T less than 1 c of boiling water stir until all of the powder has dissolved, at least 2 minutes. fill a liquid measuring cup with ice cubes to the 1 c level then add water to the 3/4 c level, Pour into hot gelatin mixture. Stir until it starts to thicken and ice cubes melt. Allow to set to the consistency of mayo or yogurt
- Meanwhile crush one package of cream filled chocolate cookies. I use a plastic bag and a rolling pin or pulse in a food processor)
- Melt 1/2 c butter. Place cookie crumbs in the bottom of a 9x 13” cake pan stir in melted butter then press into bottom of the pan. Set aside
- Once lime gelatin is a little thicker than Mayo, whip in an electric mixer or stand mixer until light and fluffy – this can take several minutes.
- Slowly add 1 c sugar and 1/4 cup of lime juice and continue to mix until blended and set aside.
- Remove the chilled evaporated milk from freezer and pour into another Large mixing bowl – 3 qt or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whip with stand mixer until stiff peaks form, see blog post for example – at least 4 minutes
- Gently fold the jello mixture in to the whipped evaporated milk until uniform in color.
- Pour over crumbs in the cake pan and chill till firm – about 1 hour
- Top Lime Delight with lime zest and shaved or grated chocolate. Cut into squares and serve.
Keep remaining portion refrigerated.
It is very important that the evaporated milk is chilled
See pictures in the blog post for guidance.
- Category: Dessert