These portable hand pies contain your vegetables, protein and carbs all in one portable package. Feel free to substitute your favorite workable pastry, if you aren’t worried about being gluten-free.
Gluten Free Pastry crust
- 2 cups gluten free flour with xanthan gum (I use Better Batter)
- 1/8 teaspoon cold salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chuncks
- 1/2 cup ice water (see note)
- 1 Large carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 lb beef flank or round steak, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- Combine gluten-free flour and salt.
- Combine flour and salt mixture with butter using a fork or pastry blender. Work the mixture until it resembles a coarse sand.
- Add 1/4 C ice water, mix, then continue adding water 1 T at a time, until the mixture holds together.
- Let the pastry rest while assembling remaining ingredients.
- Combine combine carrot, beef, potato and onion in a mixing bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme and worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
- Divide dough into 10 equal pieces
- Roll individual pieces into 1/4″ thick circles – about 5-6″ in diameter.
- Place approximately 1/4 c of filling toward 1 edge of each round.
- Use water to wet the edges of the pastry rounds. Fold rounds in half and seal the edges with finger pressure or a fork.
- Place sealed pasties on a parchment lined baking sheet, brush the tops of the pasty with water.
- Bake for 40- 55 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes, then enjoy!
- The amount of water used will depend on the weather, humidity and other factors. Start with 1/4 c water and add 1 T at a time until the pastry holds together. Don’t worry about overworking gluten free flour. Without the gluten your pastry will stay tender!
- Instead rolling out 10 individual pieces of pastry, roll the entire ball into one large area and use a bowl to cut into a circle. Remove the excess and form a ball. Then roll the pastry again to create more rounds.
- Category: entree
- Cuisine: English